cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch, Talking with Dell Switch, using GBIC fiber

jamesch
Level 1
Level 1

I have problem with our Cisco switches and our Dell switches using GBIC 1000baseSX modules(All Cisco brand GBIC's). I have one 3548xl, and one 3524xl, and Four Dell 3024 switches. The Cisco IOS is 12.0(5) WC7, the newest, and so is the Dell’s firmware. I have tried this from both 3548, and 3524, and neither work. Going from either Cisco 3548/24 switch to any of the Dell switches. Going from either of the two Cisco switches works, and between both Dell switches it works, BUT between the Cisco and Dell this does not, and the Dell shows the port is green, but the Cisco port does not have any lights.

This is the Config interface port on the 3524, Gi 0/1 goes to the Cisco 3548 GBIC, and the Gi 0/2 goes to the Dell GBIC. I have changed the “Access Mode VLAN” on the Gi 0/2 port, and this did not change. I have the GBIC working from the 3548 to the 3524, and between the two Dells’s, BUT it’s getting them to talk from the Cisco 3524 to the Dell 3024. I have changes the encapsulation from isl to dot1q, this did not help. The dell GBIC port is set to 1000, FULL. Automatically, and can not be changed, I have played with the duplex and speed on the Cisco port but no luck! Turned off flow control on both ends, no luck!, Alos I have used different fiber cables, no luck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name: Gi0/1

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative mode: static access

Operational Mode: static access

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: isl

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: isl

Negotiation of Trunking: Disabled

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking VLANs Enabled: NONE

Pruning VLANs Enabled: NONE

Priority for untagged frames: 0

Override vlan tag priority: FALSE

Voice VLAN: none

Appliance trust: none

Self Loopback: No

Name: Gi0/2

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: Disabled

Access Mode VLAN: 0 ((Inactive))

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking VLANs Enabled: 1,1002-1005

Trunking VLANs Active: 1

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Priority for untagged frames: 1

Override vlan tag priority: FALSE

Voice VLAN: none

Appliance trust: none

Self Loopback: No

2 Replies 2

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

If the Dell switches does support 802.1q tagging then you should try to manually configure the trunk mode on instead of auto. contact Dell and see whether there is a way to manually configure 801.q trunk on the Dell switch.

Not applicable

I have the exact same set up, and the exact same problem. Someone please HELP!!!

Thanks,

Randy