Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco Works Device Name via SNMP rather than DNS

I am currently setting up Ciscoworks LAN/WAN Management, I am noticing that in when I look at the topology services in Campus Manager, I am only getting device names listed for servers and other devices with DNS entries, for routers/switches ETC, that don't have DNS names I just get the IP address in the device name column. Is there anyway I can set CiscoWorks to query for a device name via snmp and fill that in in the device name column rather than just the IP address that is already listed under IP address?

8 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Cisco Works Device Name via SNMP rather than DNS

I'm not sure if what you ask is possible, but a work around could be to edit the hosts file on your Ciscoworks server to map all the hostnames and IP addresses

Community Member

An interesting idea, however in practical use, I would rather not have to manually update a hosts file for several hundred devices. If no other option exists I may have to just use the hosts file for major devices.

One other thought, is there anyway I can get a router to automatically register its hostname via dns so that all devices automatically populate their names to our dns servers?

Bronze

under CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi, there's a conf file, ANIServer.properties. Look for following three entries

nameserver.usedns

nameserver.resolveByName

nameserver.resolveBySysName

It's most likely that the last one is not true for you. Make all three to true, and restart ANIServer process, or simply restarte daemon.

Community Member

Actually I just looked at that file and all 3 entries in regard to name server are set to true but they have an ascii square symbol and a # after them, is that ok or does that comment out the line? Any other thoughts?

Bronze

I believe you were using notepad viewing the file. Try wordpad and you won't see the trailing #.

Try reinit ani database, and do another discovery.

Community Member

Ok a couple things. First I opened the file in word pad and you were right everything looks better in there. Secondly I reinitialized the ani database and even after a rediscovery all the device names still only list ip addresses. I also opened a TAC case on this and TAC told me the only way to get device name is via dns. Any other thoughts, are you actually getting device names via snmp? TAC doesn't think this is possible.

Community Member

I just noticed that in map view I get device names just fine but in a list view in topology services it just lists the ip address. This seems just seems weird to me, like a design issue as the TAC seems to be implying.

Bronze

TAC is correct that sysName will not be used as device name. If you want the map to show you sysName, select "view > display lables > show sysnames".

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content