Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco7206 show command to get the chassis s/n

decamero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a partner in Canada that is trying to add a Cisco 7206VXR to smartnet and we are trying to determine the true chassis serial number.  The end customer has provided us the sh invent which gives us the main processor board s/n, and they have provided us the sh hardware which also gives us the serial number of the main processor board.  I have searched in Cisco's manufacturing tool  and found the main processor board s/n and it provided me the chassis serial number but the partner is not accepting this to be the chassis serial number.

Is there another show command that the end customer can do to see the correct chassis serial number?

Thank,s

Debra Cameron

Cisco Canada

Partner Support

2 Replies 2

Hi,

DId you try with show version command? because when i tried with packet tracer, it shows some ID in the name of Processor ID. here is the example of sh ver.

Processor board ID JAD05190MTZ (4292891495)
M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
239K bytes of NVRAM.
62720K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Please try and reply back.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to read the chassis serial number via software.  The reason for this is the serial number is not stored in an electronic format.  IOS can only display the chassis mid-plane serial number.

Some customers get around this by reading the serial number of the chassis then saving it to the configuration by using the "snmp-server-chassis-id" command.

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: