cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks 2000 and MRTG Integration

andrew.burns
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried running CiscoWorks 2000 and MRTG on the same box? Are there any known issues with installing perl 5.6 over CiscoWorks 2000 ?

many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

CW2000 installs it's own perl with the application, therefore it may cause problems with the perl used by MRTG. The recommendation is to install CW2K on a standalone server of it's own.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

CW2000 installs it's own perl with the application, therefore it may cause problems with the perl used by MRTG. The recommendation is to install CW2K on a standalone server of it's own.

Yes, I've done exactly that many times, Solaris has perl by default which CiscoWorks doesn't use. MRTG will happily use the default perl on the box rather than the one in /opt/CSCOpx.

If you want to run rrdtool /routers.cgi it becomes a bit more difficult - I've never been able to get it working without building yet another copy of perl and installing it in /usr/local. But still it plays nice with CiscoWorks. I assume you're talking Solaris ?

If you are planning on polling many routers you really should look at rrdtool because it reduces CPU usage by 70% of so, and otherwise you'll kill even a fairly big box with CiscoWorks as well.

We're running CW on W2000 - but as it's a production system and is working fine I'm loathe to do anything which might compromise it's stability. I see a small but measurable risk in installing MRTG on the same box so I've decided to play safe and build another W2000 server for MRTG.

Thanks for the advice about rrdtool - I'll have to investigate...

Not applicable

MRTG run well with cw2k,

you can install another copy of perl 5.8 at /usr/local/,and put /usr/local/bin at the begin of your PATH enviroment.

the pakage for sun solaris 5.8 can be found at mrtg download site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: