cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks RTM Traffic Monitor short/long term history views

rcullum
Level 1
Level 1

I'd be grateful someone could provide some info on the following points I have about RTM Traffic Monitor.

1/ if I select a switch port, choose the data link layer view, I get a graph of port no. v % utilization. O.K. If I now choose the Time menu, and select a user-defined range eg 10/07 9am - 100/07 10am, I get a graph of port no. v % utilization for that period of time, supposedly. But there is no time axis. So what am I viewing? a graph of port no. v average % utilization for that period of time?

2/ How come I can only view short and long term history graphs for a port NOW? ie if I use the defaults of 50 buckets at 30s intervals (short term) and 50 buckets at 1800s intervals (long term), I only see the last 25mins and 25 hours respectively plotted as % utilization v time for that switch port. How come there is no option to see short/long term history for yesterday, last week or a user-defined range? I thought RTM holds 31 days of stats, so surely this information must be in its database?

2 Replies 2

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

1) Yes. 2) The sampling interval determines the frequency, in seconds, at which the device samples data. The short-term history sampling interval must a value between 1 and 1000. The recommended interval is 30 seconds. The long-term history sampling interval must be between 1 and 3600 seconds. The recommended interval is 1800 seconds (30 minutes). The buckets represent the number of rows in the history table in which the data is stored. You can determine how many buckets, or rows in the history table, you want to use to store short- and long-term history data. The bucket setting must be an integer value between 1 and 100. The recommended bucket size for most probes (excluding WAN probes with DLCIs) is 50. When the number of buckets you specified are filled, the oldest data is removed from the table to make room for the newest sampling entry. For example, if you set the short-term history interval to 30 seconds and the number of buckets to 50, samples of data are taken every 30 seconds. At each sample interval, the data is stored in one of the buckets in the History table. When all 50 buckets are filled, the bucket with the oldest data is removed from the table to make room for the newest sampling data.

Yes, I understand the principles of short and long term history, but I was under the impression that this information was also copied into the RTM database. If this is not the case, then what information in the RTM database am I viewing when looking at RTM Traffic Monitor historical information?