Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Ciscoworks syslog archive analysis

I have a need to do some analysis of information in our syslog.log that is further back than the 14 days that is available through the RME Syslog Analyzer.

My syslog file is currently about 130MB.

I have two questions:

1) Is there any tool available to help parse the syslog.log file so that it can be analyzed and even parts of it printed out? Because this file is so large, I am having trouble loading into applications such as Excel and even Access is very slow.

2) There are two date/times in the syslog. Here is an example:

Mar 22 11:52:53 switch.company.com 2004 Mar 22 11:54:18 CST -06:00 %MGMT-6-LOGINPASS:User logged in from workstation.company.com

It looks to me like the first date/time comes from the device iteself. Does the second date/time come from the CiscoWorks server? It does not look like the second date is used when using the Syslog Analyzer. I have checked and the Ciscoworks server is not running off NTP, unlike the network devices, and it is about 1 minute and 30 seconds off.

I have not been able to locate any information about either of these topics on cisco.com. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Ciscoworks syslog archive analysis

1) have you heard of logrot? It's a powerful log file rotation program for Ciscoworks. You can use windows scheduler or Unix cron to run it periodically.

http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/alpha-progs.html

2) The first timestamp actually is the Server's. The second one, needless to say, comes from the device itself. You can verify this by doing a sniffer capture on the server and analyze the syslog packet.

HTH

Re: Ciscoworks syslog archive analysis

Thanks for the info on the timestamp. That is what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

I saw something on an earlier post about logrot. It sounded like it helped to archive the logs so that they didn't grow so big (which I definitely need) but does it help any with parsing the info in those files? Or should I just use something like Excel or Access to do that?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content