cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clarification on the SHOW TOP command

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone know much about the Show Top command? I am trying to get specs on the bandwidth utilization of a port. When

I do the Top command it tells me a percent of utilization. However it looks to be too low. I verified the util using a traffic generator test set and it has results of almost double the util. that the Top command stated. So my thoughts are that if the port is set for 100/Full then the Top stats for Util show only half Dux. Is this so??? I think that I need to double the Top results for util and that will be the true Util for the port. Can anyone verify this????

1 Reply 1

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

you are kind of correct, that it will look like a half duplex utilization because process actually bundles the TX AND rx into the same counter and it also looks at the full duplex bandwidth when calculating the % utilization. So a GE port is really 2000Mbps full-duplex. so, from the traffic generator you are sending at line rate of 1 Gig, the TOP will see that as 50% utilization. Does that make sense. This is how I understand it.