Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Silver

Clarification on the SHOW TOP command

Does anyone know much about the Show Top command? I am trying to get specs on the bandwidth utilization of a port. When

I do the Top command it tells me a percent of utilization. However it looks to be too low. I verified the util using a traffic generator test set and it has results of almost double the util. that the Top command stated. So my thoughts are that if the port is set for 100/Full then the Top stats for Util show only half Dux. Is this so??? I think that I need to double the Top results for util and that will be the true Util for the port. Can anyone verify this????

1 REPLY

Re: Clarification on the SHOW TOP command

you are kind of correct, that it will look like a half duplex utilization because process actually bundles the TX AND rx into the same counter and it also looks at the full duplex bandwidth when calculating the % utilization. So a GE port is really 2000Mbps full-duplex. so, from the traffic generator you are sending at line rate of 1 Gig, the TOP will see that as 50% utilization. Does that make sense. This is how I understand it.

Views
Helpful
Replies