Views
Helpful
Replies

class class-default cludge to fix NMS crashing

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

Have a weird question in regards to class class-default.

I have a bug in an NMS system, that if in the class class-default class-map it does not have an amount of bandwidth reserved, it crashes the NMS system. A patch is being applied in two weeks.

Would there be any problems with putting the bandwidth command in the class class-default :

class class-default

bandwidth 1

ie

7300_Metro1>sh policy ken

Policy Map ken

Class class-default

Bandwidth 1 (kbps) Max Threshold 64 (packets)

7300_Metro1>sh policy ken1

Policy Map ken1

Class class-default

7300_Metro1>

The way I understand it is that the bandwidth command is minimum bandwidth only, not maximum bandwidth

and

the bandwdith command can burst over this size in times of congestion and non-congestion.

Could this have any fall out on anything else, say I had priority and bandwidths in other class-maps and then this defaul-class configuration?

the other solution in the time being is to take the bandwidth from the bandwdith and priority commands and set the default-class to the remainder of the bandwdith. Is this approach safer?

Kind regards,

Ken

1 Reply 1

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

After defining the classification parameters, you can use a policy map to apply traffic parameters to these classified flows:

policy-map mypol

class ixia

bandwidth 40000

queue-limit 40

class loopbacks

bandwidth 10000

class class-default

fair-queue

In this case, the flow from the traffic generator is "allocated" a bandwidth of 40 Mbps and a queue depth of 40 packets. The traffic between loopbacks is allocated a bandwidth of 10 Mbps.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/121/7200_per-vc-CBWFQ.html