Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Clearning unwanted VLAN's from trunks

I have two switches thar are running 802.1 Q. One switch is setup as the server while the other switch is the client. I am trying to remove VLAN 306 from the trunked port. My question is does that VLAN need to be cleared on both the server and the client switch? I currenlty have the VLAN cleared on the server but it still shows up in the VTP database on the client

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Clearning unwanted VLAN's from trunks

Having the vlan in the database has no effect on the clearing the vlan from the trunk. When you clear the vlan from the trunk, this means, any traffic on this vlan will not be forwarded on that trunk even if you have the vlan in the client database. But if that vlan is needed to some other place like other trunk port, you don't want to delete that vlan from the server vlan database because once you delete the vlan completely from the database, then it 'll be deleted on all the clients and server switches in that vtp domain. so that vlan won't exist anymore.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.