Views
Helpful
Replies

Clueless newbie nuisance seeks a tiny bit of advice-Cisco 2500 power cycle

0r8it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks-

the conversation title says it all- I need a smidgeon of help on the above device.

I've inherited (by default) a smallish network that I'm in the process of mapping. We lease a line for internet and external email provision- the NTU has a serial connection to a Cisco 2500 router. The router connects to our side of things via ethernet.

In the past few days, the leased line died(?-at any rate, we lost external connectivity)- the engineer's having a hard time isolating the fault. I was advised to power cycle the router and the NTU when the problem first emerged.

AFAIK- the router has preserved it's configuration when I did this. However- when I telnet to it from a pc connected to it's 'console' port, the date shows 1993...of course, it may always have shown 1993, but the previous 'administrator' didn't like writing anything down, hence why I've got to map everything! The prompt looks okay, ie, it's calling itself by the name given to it, but i'm wondering if it may have lost a routing table or some other config data.

Does this sound likely? Do I have to do anything else after power cycling, ie, re-enable interfaces?

Of course, I can't login as exec to view any details, 'cos no-one knows the exec password...nightmare! (I've got the instructions for resetting the pw, btw, and will get round to this in time.)

apologies for the ramble- any help gratefully appreciated-

0r8it

2 Replies 2

0r8it
Level 1
Level 1

OK, so I fixed it.

1)Found interfaces were down post-reboot.

2)Reset "ENABLE" password.

3)Brought interfaces up.

4)Saved config.

Not bad work for a newbie I think!

Just need to change and save the time and date now...

0r8it

you might want to use a time server to automatically set the time.

I am also new at this but.

clock timezone GMT 0

ntp server a.b.c.d key 0 prefer (if you know the IP)

ntp server a.b.c.d key 0 (for the fallback time server)

ntp server ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk key 0 (to use a dns one for example)

(but you then also need the line below)

ip name-server a.b.c.d (to enable DNS so you can telnet etc by name)

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

this is a web page with lots of public time servers, look in the 70-80's for ones in Great Britain