Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cluster Problems 3550

I replaced one Cat5000 with three Cat3550. The clusterlink is done with the gigastack Cable. If I connect two switches together the link is 1GB/fullduplex, the trunk ist working correctly.

If I connect three Switches together (master, member1, member2) the link ist 1GB halfduplex. My problem now is: after connecting the third switch, the trunk on the gigastack link dissapears after 30-60 seconds. Software on the switch 12.1.(12c)

3 REPLIES

Re: Cluster Problems 3550

Hi,

I'm afraid it's impossible to configure trunk while connecting switches in the stack using both ports of GigaStack GBIC.

Cisco GigaStack GBIC data sheet (http://cco-rtp-1.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html)

says:

"GigaStack GBIC will create a half-duplex repeater bus external to the switch fabric of connected switches. This means that traffic bound from one switch to another will not traverse the switch fabric of intermediate switches."

But trunk configuration requires point-to-point connection. So you can configure trunks in your stack only while using just one port on each Gigastack GBIC.

Regards,

Milan

Thank you for this interesting response.

So if we stack more than 2 equipment together (with GigaStack GBIC) we loose the benefit of different VLANS?

If I take 'normal'GBIC and Fibercable to stack them together the trunk works properly and i can use all the VLANs. But, what is the gain of the Gigastack GBIC?

Anonymous
N/A

The only gain is if 2 Gigastack GBIC's cost less than 1 SX GBIC. Putting 2 Gigastack GBIC's in one switch and only using one port from each, gives a full duplex connection again.

Views
Helpful
Replies