cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CMF TFTP Service Fails to Start, crmtftp.exe error message

cookia
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Cd One 4th Edition on Win 2K Server Service Pack 2, with no terminal services installed. Whever system is booted up event log message advises me that a service failed to start up.

Error messages in Event Log Manager are as follows:

Event ID 7009

Timeout (30000) milliseconds waiting for the CMF tftp service to connect.

Event ID 7000

The CMF tftp service service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

In Service Control Panel when trying to start Service(NB. RSH and Syslog both start fine, and all are listed as automatic startup) the following error message is generated.

Could not Start the CMF tftp service on the local computer

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I have checked permissions on folders regarding tftp issues, plus regsitry settings that point to path and location of crmtftp.exe application and tftpboot directory, application is coorrectly located in bin directory and they comply with the tech note posted at Cisco. Short of completely rebuilding O/S I am at a loss as to why this fails to work....

Any assistance would be most grateful!

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You must log in as an Administrator local to the machine (no pseudo user or admin equivalent login) when installing the CW2000. Did you verify that?

Yes, Logged in as administrator, installation of software generates no error messages or failures.

Have been advised that Win 2K SP3 was on platform and this was uninstalled back to SP2. Also Terminal Services were installed on server, but these were also uninstalled prior to software installed.

Since last update I have uninstalled O/S and reinstalled on blank formatted drive win2k Standard Serverwith Service Pack 2.

Reinstalled CD One and guess what same error messages. On CCO found 2 bug references:

bug number = CSCdt71704

" crmtftp.exe fails at system startup.

The CMF tftp service fails to start, and displays the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or

control request in a timely fashion."

No fix for the moment is released but there is a Workaround:

Restart the service manually. To do so:

1. From the Windows Taskbar, select Start > Programs >

Administrative Tools > Services.

The Services window appears.

2. Right-click on the CMF tftp service entry and select Start.

3. Close the Services window.

This doesnt work as you get same error message " The service did not respond to the start or

control request in a timely fashion"

However, second Bug is CSCdx47608

When starting the CRMtftp service on an IBM Netfinity eServer xSeries 330, Pentium III, 1.133 GHz

it fails with error:

"Could not start the CMF tftp service service on Local Computer.

Error: 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Sometimes a Dr.Watson error is generated.

Both, automatic and manual startup don't work.

Work-around: replace crmtftp.exe with updated crmtftp.exe

Although it doesnt point to location of "updated" crmtftp.exe,

Searched on ftp.cisco.com and coulld not find any crmtftp.exe file, can any body point me to location??

I have encountered the same problem.Did you get it resolved ? And how ?

Thanks a lot !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: