Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

CNA & "switch redundant power supply"

Just configured trunking between these switches:

2950T-48-SI

3508G-XL

3548-XL

The traffic appears to be flowing correctly through both the default VLAN and also my additional VLAN.

Now, ALL of the 2950 switches on my network display this message: "switch redundant power supply failed" when I connect to them using the Cisco Network Assistant.

Seems like the error message must be related somehow to the VLAN configuration I did.

In a nutshell, I configured all connected Gigabit ports this way:

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

I only configured SOME of my switches for the trunking and additional VLAN - must all of them be configured the say way, even if I don't anticipate needing the additional VLANS on those switches?

Thanks, Susan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: CNA & "switch redundant power supply"

Hi Susan,

Do you have redundant power supplies connected to the 2950s?

If not, you are probably running into a cosmetic bug, CSCee96721.

We can confirm this by issuing a "show env" in the CLI.

You should see something like this:

"switch#sho env all

FAN is OK

Internal POWER supply is OK

RPS is NOT present

RPS is FAULTY"

Note that the last line indicates that the RPS is faulty, even though the line above it indicates that no RPS is present.

If that applies to you as well, then you are hitting this bug. CNA is polling the same information, which is why you are seeing "switch redundant power supply failed" in CNA.

The fix is in 12.1(22)EA3 and later.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Susan,

Do you have redundant power supplies connected to the 2950s?

If not, you are probably running into a cosmetic bug, CSCee96721.

We can confirm this by issuing a "show env" in the CLI.

You should see something like this:

"switch#sho env all

FAN is OK

Internal POWER supply is OK

RPS is NOT present

RPS is FAULTY"

Note that the last line indicates that the RPS is faulty, even though the line above it indicates that no RPS is present.

If that applies to you as well, then you are hitting this bug. CNA is polling the same information, which is why you are seeing "switch redundant power supply failed" in CNA.

The fix is in 12.1(22)EA3 and later.

HTH,

Bobby

Thank you SO MUCH - that "bug" appears to be my problem ... I was NOT relishing the thought of spending all Sunday afternoon trying to figure this one out !!

I did see a post form womeone else somewhere in this forum indicating that he had solved the problem with an IOS update.

Question: If I bought the switches "refurbished" (yeah yeah, I know, but I have to do what "the man" says), am I eligible for a free IOS upgrade or must I purchase the upgrade? ANd if the later, how do I go about it, just contact a Cisco reseller?

Thanks again, Susan

Cisco Employee

Susan,

Unfortunately, you'll need to have a SmartNet contract in order to have access to IOS software upgrades.

HTH,

Bobby

So I can't even purchase an IOS upgrade unless I purchase a SmartNet contract?

Will I have any problems purchasing SmartNet if I purchased the switch refurbed?

Thanks again for your help ...

Cisco Employee

Hi,

I'm not completely sure about purchasing a one-time IOS upgrade separately. You may be able do to this, but you'll want to check with your Cisco rep on that.

You'll still be able to add refurbed hardware to a SmartNet contract. You should be able to arrange this either through your vendor or Cisco rep.

-Bobby

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content