cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collecting Router Serial Numbers

nloesing
Level 1
Level 1

Is the router chassis serial number (tag on router) available anywhere in the CLI? I know it can be explicitly configured as "snmp-server chassis-id", but is it available remotely by default anywhere?

We need the router serial number for contract purposes and it doesn't seem to be available for collection remotely unless previously set using the "snmp-server chassis-id" command.

Can the "Processor board ID" from the "show version" command be used for support contract purposes since it doesn't seem to match the serial number on the router chassis?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cminch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this has been an issue for some time. Only response for right now is it has to be configured over the chassis-id. You might be able to use the Processor Board ID, for internal purposes, but if you need to RMA or TAC Case you will need the official Serial number. There has been talks about implemetning this in newer IOS Versions but I don't know what the outcome has been.

Regards,

Corey

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

cminch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this has been an issue for some time. Only response for right now is it has to be configured over the chassis-id. You might be able to use the Processor Board ID, for internal purposes, but if you need to RMA or TAC Case you will need the official Serial number. There has been talks about implemetning this in newer IOS Versions but I don't know what the outcome has been.

Regards,

Corey