Views
Helpful
Replies

collisions in full-duplex ethernet

tcherkon
Level 1
Level 1

I've read a confusing question in switching exam. Here it is:

17. Which of the following are true of full-duplex ethernet?

a. There is a significant performance increase over half-duplex ethernet

b. More collisions

c. If one host is transmitting, the other must wait for it to finish

d. No collisions

e. Clients must have a full-duplex compatible ethernet card

Answers are: A,E

This seems right, but why D isn't true?

Thank you

8 Replies 8

wynneit
Level 1
Level 1

Cant think why D isnt true except when the settings are mismatched and you have one device in full duplex the other in half duplex ie if auto negotiation has failed.

rdrummond
Level 1
Level 1

This question would have confused me as well.

The only thing I can think of is during the auto-negotiation the devices use collisions to detect the correct settings.

Bobby

ptrigueira
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

full-duplex ethernet, is jusr about using both uplink and donwlink for traffix. So, in full-duplex you tx and rx at the same time. If you use full-duplex in a shared media like a hub, you will FOR SURE have collisions....

pt

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"D" would normally be true but then again Cisco tests are very vague in a lot of their questioning and you end up guessing just what are they looking for .

if 2 PC r sending and receiving data in full-duplex mode then there is no collisions between these 2 PC. but if another PC is attempting to send data at the same time to one PC, is there possibility to have collisions?

No, there is no such possibility.

The Full Duplex circuit is between the SWITCH and the endstation. All traffic to other hosts is handled (queued) by the buffers in the switch.

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

I remember that I had this question as well, and I assume that I filled in A,D,E as well. There are quite some questions like this in any exam I took (6 of them in 2002), presumably to prevent anyone from scoring 100%.

Found an interesting comment in CCNA 640-607 certification guide on page 156. Says " If only one device is connected to each port on a switch, no collisions can occur." Take the implication and run with it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: