Views
Helpful
Replies

Combining Internet BandWidth from different providers

s.hakopian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 2 leased lines connected to different internet providers on my 2610. I want the router to loadbalance between those two according to the load/delay/(line quality :response packets of the line or request packets lossed) , to have one high quality/fast internet access without policy making on port/ip/mac... BTW the routes are static.

My appreciations

Seroj Hakopian

2 Replies 2

thanhhuong-tran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Seroj,

I am afraid that is not possible to do with static routes .

I suppose

a ) you use two default routes pointed to two differents providers .

you may play wih static metric just for backup solution ( for outgoing traffic ) .

b) providers configure static routes pointed to your router and inject it into their BGP table .

With this solution, you don't have any control about all traffic coming from providers .

Try to use BGP protocol to exchange your route with providers . but not sure loadbalance would work because you are two small .

if your first idea was loadbalancing solution, i suggest you to connect all links to the same provider and in the same router . you will benefit load balancing without modification on router .

Best Regards,

Tran

NB : overall, you must use dynamic routing if you want something based on load/delay . no static !

gongxinping
Level 1
Level 1

Athough you can route outbound traffic to different ISP use static route,but internet user outside your ISPs can't recognize that your site has two link to different ISP,for your ISPs don't advertise routing information about your network to other ISP .

Solution: apply for an autonomous system number and run BGP routing protocol with your ISPs.