cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Combining two T1's

mstanbury
Level 1
Level 1

I have two seperate T1's from seperate suppliers. I am currently using two Cisco 2600 series routers. Is there any way I could combine the two? Would I need another router? Is there a router on the market that I could use with both of them? Or would I need a third router?

4 Replies 4

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "combine". Do you mean to aggregate the bandwidth or to bring in a single physical connection?

You won't be able to aggregate the BW to two separate ISPs. You could use BGP, but I don't know how a 2600 would deal with a large routing table.

If you wish to bring in a single line, you could buy two channels of a DS-3, but that's a bit pricey for only two T-1s.

Mick.

I mean aggregate the bandwidth.

jason.griffin
Level 1
Level 1

I hope I am understanding your question-

I currently use the 2610 series routers. Just add another Wan interface card to your cassis if you have space.

Hi,

yeah jasons correct, You can terminate the two T1's on the same router, just add another WIC into the slot .

As far as aggregating the bandwidth is concerned, you can possible load balance between the two T1's (assuming you have a default route to 2 ISP's) and get a effective throughput of 3 Mbps.

Hope that helps.

Daipayan