cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command Line Interface

innojohn69
Level 1
Level 1

How do I access the command Line interface so I can configure my cisco 2600 router series. I do not seem to know where to do this in my netbook. To which port also can connect the cable to give the router internet.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You need to access the console port of the router using a console cable. Your netbook most likely does not have a serial port for this, so you'll need a USB-serial adapter.

Once you have that, you need terminal software. PuTTy is a good lightweight program that you can download for free.

If you want to give the router internet, you need to pick a WAN port. Assuming you don't have an HWIC-ESW in the router, any port will do.

There is a guide here that may be helpful to you:

http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/command-line/how-to-access-the-cisco-cli-from-the-console/

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim

View solution in original post

Oh nice. Yeah that will do it.

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You need to access the console port of the router using a console cable. Your netbook most likely does not have a serial port for this, so you'll need a USB-serial adapter.

Once you have that, you need terminal software. PuTTy is a good lightweight program that you can download for free.

If you want to give the router internet, you need to pick a WAN port. Assuming you don't have an HWIC-ESW in the router, any port will do.

There is a guide here that may be helpful to you:

http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/command-line/how-to-access-the-cisco-cli-from-the-console/

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim

Thank you very much. Let me give a shot.

Hi Tim,

Once I press enter it does not do anything. 

Hi, 

So when you connected via Serial using Putty it connected but no output?

Can you confirm in Device Manager that the COM port is the one that corresponds to the right serial interface on your laptop?

Also just to confirm, the router is powered on?

If you hit enter a few times do you still get nothing, or do you get weird characters?

Regards,

Tim

Still nothing. At first it showed COM1 now nothing. Earlier in it was only a blank dark screen.

Hi,

If you're seeing absolutely nothing it's possible you're using the wrong COM port.

Or you are not plugged into the Console port of the router.

Or you are not using a proper console cable.

Can you attach a screenshot of your device manager with the serial COM ports expanded?

Regards,

Tim

Okay. I will do that. Give me a min.

That is my cable, the adapter and the screen shot.

Device manager from the beginning.

Hi,

Everything looks mostly good except for the cable you're using to plug into the console port. That doesn't look like a console cable to me. They're usually light blue in color. They definitely are if they're from Cisco.

Console cables have a different pinout than other cables. They are NOT the same as Ethernet / Crossover / Rollover cables.

Can you confirm that you are using a console cable?

Thank you. I just ordered a light blue usb to console cable from eBay. I will let you know when I get it. Because I really want to get on this pretty soon.

Ok. It's USB to console? Can you email me the link to the product so I can help you confirm it's the right one?

Regards,

Tim

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281736212653?_mwBanner=1

This is the website to the console cable Tim. 

Thank you.

Oh nice. Yeah that will do it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: