Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

command "frame-relay traffic-shaping"

Hi all,

When config frame-relay to map a class, I saw some sample config use command "frame-relay traffic-shaping" first and then map a class. And I saw some books said that you should use this command in frame-relay when you map a class or do QoS. But I also saw some config do not have this command. Can any one tell me when should I use this command? And when config a class and no adaptive-shaping needed command "no frame-relay adaptive-shaping xxxx". But if have not this command, will frame-relay use adaptive-shaping by default? Thank You!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: command "frame-relay traffic-shaping"

This command should be used when Frame Relay Traffic shaping has to be configured which is one of the QoS mechanisms. FRTS is used for shaping traffic on a particular VC to a constant rate so that packets are not dropped when there are circuit speed mismatches. The map-class defines the shaping parameters like CIR, Bc,Be, the type of queuing used for the shaping queue etc. The map-class is then applied either to the interface, sub-interface or each DLCI, and all the traffic is shaped. When FRTS is configured, the router can react or adapt to congestion in the service provider network. The service provider sets the BECN bit in the traffic towards the sending router, and the router can lower its sending rate till it stops receiving BECN or reaches the MINCIR value. By default, router does not adapt to BECNS. You can enable it with the ' frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn' command under the map-class. You can look at this document for more information :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/traffic_shaping_6151.html

1 REPLY

Re: command "frame-relay traffic-shaping"

This command should be used when Frame Relay Traffic shaping has to be configured which is one of the QoS mechanisms. FRTS is used for shaping traffic on a particular VC to a constant rate so that packets are not dropped when there are circuit speed mismatches. The map-class defines the shaping parameters like CIR, Bc,Be, the type of queuing used for the shaping queue etc. The map-class is then applied either to the interface, sub-interface or each DLCI, and all the traffic is shaped. When FRTS is configured, the router can react or adapt to congestion in the service provider network. The service provider sets the BECN bit in the traffic towards the sending router, and the router can lower its sending rate till it stops receiving BECN or reaches the MINCIR value. By default, router does not adapt to BECNS. You can enable it with the ' frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn' command under the map-class. You can look at this document for more information :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/traffic_shaping_6151.html

Views
Helpful
Replies