Views
Helpful
Replies

Compact Flash Card For 6500

nomanbari
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have one query. I have a 6506 running with Sup720 module whose IOS in the internal flash got corrupted (Tried Xmodem to recover but this solution isn't viable under my situation). One solution can be that we can use the 64MB compact flash card (MEM-C6K-CPTFL64M) and tried to boot the Sup from it.

My query is that is MEM-C6K-CPTFL64M compatible with a laptops pcmcia slot? If it is then we can connect the flash card with the laptap pcmcia slot and copy the IOS on it. That way we can try booting the machine with the flash card. Will this work?

If any one has tried this out then any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Noman Bari

7 Replies 7

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Noman,

AFAIK it is not compatible as I have tried it with ATA cards which are used with sup2 and sup1a and that did not worked in pcmcia slots of laptops. So flasg card also should not work with laptops.

You can insert the flash card in the spare sup in spare chassi and can copy the image via tftp to the flash card.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I thought this was a way out.

Can you think of any reason why from rommon, Xmodem fails to work although all the steps are being followed according to the way explained here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803f578b.html

The IOS which we are trying to upload to WS-SUP720= is S72033-jk9sv-mz.122-144.SX1.bin. Do you think this might be IOS issue?

We don't have another sup/6500 available to us. Is there any way out of this predicament ?

Regards,

Noman Bari

Hi Noman,

Sup 720 Native IOS is a huge file and if you do xmodem it will surely timeout before it comepletes.

I have faced this problem many a times on sup2 while doing xmodem for NATIVE IOS xmodem times out.

The best and fast way will be to xmodem the boot image as the size of the boot image is not huge so the switch may come up with boot image and once it is up you can tftp the main IOS image to the box.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

What is the system bootstrap? early boot strap version of the sup720 did not support xmodem. big id: CSCec54182.

Release Notes:

xmodem is not supported on sup720 SP, bootrom 7.7(1).

NOw, if you have a valid bootrom and the Native IOS is just too large to xmodem and you absolutely have no flash card or least a flash card with the right format, then you can try to xmodem a catOS first, just to get it up and booted so that you can format the flash card and then tftp the native image in the flash card.

Hi,

Please see the attachment for the relevant info...

Regards,

Noman Bari

Maybe a corrupted image as the console shows:

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

Hi,

yes...thats the problem, i know this.. and figuring out a way to upgrade the ios under this stituation...

Regards,

Noman Bari

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: