cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compaq NIC Teaming across dual core switches

michael.duvall
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a Compaq server with a dual port and onboard nic that I'd like to team. It will be connecting to dual 4000 series switches and I'm seeking best practices for high availibility. Can I configure all three on the server side as a team and two on one switch as a channel and then run spanning tree to block the single port connected to the redundant switch or is there a better method?

2 Replies 2

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but if you're trying to configure redundancy for your Compaq server while connecting them to your CAT4000 switches you can set up Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP). Here is a link on how to set up HSRP:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12112cea/3550scg/swhsrp.htm

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Much will depend on what OS is running on the server. If you have MS and the server is configured to be:

1. A domain controller then I think your only choice is to configure two NICs as "Fault Tolerance" team. With Fault Tolerance, I think that you can have two connections to two separate switches.

2. Not a domain controller then you can have different VLAN assigned to different NICs and you'll use this to your advantage as both redundancy AND load balancing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: