Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

complete communications stops in 2950

I have a problem i have two 2950 switches sometimes complete communication stops & gets resolve after restart.I have isolated switches with each other but still the problem is same

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: complete communications stops in 2950

Have you consoled into the switch to see what is going on.. Any errors/high CPU/STP loops?

Bronze

Hi,

there is a bug that could apply to this, the workaround is, unfortunately, to return the unit to Cisco:

CSCdv83336 Bug Details

Under certain level of traffic load, the (2950) switch will start logging the following messages on the console:

SCHAN ERROR INTR: SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

and after a few seconds, the switch will stop passing any traffic. In some cases, the switch seemed still forwarding broadcast and multicast traffic, which will cause STP problem if the switch has redundant link and is not supposed to be the root for the VLAN, as both port will go forwarding.

The same error message has been identified in CSCdu87836.

An assessment of the impact

Unit stops passing any traffic.

WORKAROUND

Several units were returned by CISCO. The units were re-screened to the latest test program, and failed the SDRAM memory test.

Customer should RMA unit back to Cisco

Nethelper

Bronze

Hello,

how old is the device ? The only thing I can think of is some sort of an NVRAM or flash failure.

Can you post the output of ´show stacks´ ? That output can give indications on what is going wrong.

Nethelper

Views
Helpful
Replies