cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compression in IPSEC VPN?

fisko
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to implement compresion in software based VPN (IPSEC) and how to verify does it work if there is no hardware VPN module?

Is it funcionally to setup frame -relay payload compression on frame relay point to point even if there is IPSEC and how to combine them.

Frame relay link is 128K.

THANKS FOR HELP!!!

Regards

fisko

2 Replies 2

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

Lempel-Ziv-Stac (LZS) compression, the most widely accepted lossless compression algorithm at this time. It is implemented on layer 3, as is the hardware encryption. It can considerably reduce bandwidth requirements to support IP Security (IPSec).

Another limitation to be noted is this implementation operates on data streams only. Voice and video packets are not to be compressed or decompressed by the operations described in document below. You can use the command "show crypto engine accelerator statistic" to see the LZS compression statistics.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_configuration_guide09186a00800ab730.html

Yes I know about that.But if I dont have hardware module I can still set the LZS comp in IPSEC but how can I check it and does it work?

Regards and THANKS!!!!

fisko

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: