Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Computer in network neigborhood

I am in the process of connecting 2 office together through Wan with 2 cisco 2514 router. I wondering can you guy help me setup so that 2 office can see other computer through network neigborhood for files sharing. Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: Computer in network neigborhood

You could configure your routers to forward UDP broadcasts (look up the " ip helper-address" command). Another way to do it is to configure an LMHOSTS file on each of the stations that will match their names to IP addresses. Also you could simply connect a network drive using the ip (example: \\10.10.10.1\share).

What other configuration do I need to do on the router. Thanks

There is a better solution: Although UDP forwarding solves the problem, it may cause a considerable broadcast overhead on the WAN connection (naturally depending number of hosts).

A better solution is to utilize a WINS server (an MS, Netbios/IP lookup server). Ideally one server should exist on both sides with replication in between, but again, depending on your size, single server on one side will do (on the crowded side preferably). All hosts should be configured to use that WINS address. (This can easily be performed is using DHCP, via DHCP options).

Hope this helps.

Cagri

Thanks for all the help guy..now I know where to start from..

Views
Helpful
Replies