Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Conectivity Testing

Friends,

I have a customer who is experiencing some packet loss problems. I logged into his router and did some testing. When I ping the WAN far-end, I have 100% success. However, if I try an extended ping, I miss every other ping (!.!.!.!). I already checked the routing table for bad routes, but nothing unnusual.

Anybody have any tips?

Rgds,

Persio

2 REPLIES

Re: Conectivity Testing

I seem to recall seeing this problem a while back. I think that it was a bad route being load balanced across. You already checked that though. Could it be a bad route on the return path?

Re: Conectivity Testing

On further thought, you might want to try an extended ping an specify more than the default 2 second timeout and see what happens. I once set the bandwidth (not the speed) on an asynch interface to 64kbps but acutally had it configured for only 9.6kbps. I think I was running OSPF. It caused some serious issues with load balancing and I wound up with a response on every other ping. Extending the response time "fixed" the problem until I figured out my mistake.

Also, don't forget that you can turn on "debug IP ICMP" to get a better idea of what is going on. Even if a ping times out, the response will still arrive at the pinging router (assuming all in the network/routing tables is OK). The debug option will tell you when those late responses arrive.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content