Anyone would have a hint on how the switch could be configure to allow

a server to ping it ? (which is required for a bbsm server to be able to

"discover" it)

Thanks

4 Replies 4

ed
Level 1
Level 1

You should only have to give the 2950 an IP address on interface VLAN1 to PING the switch from the same IP subnet.

The switch has already an ip adress configured on the interface VLAN1,

that is from the same IP subnet as the server. But still, it is not able

to ping it. But it doesn't say that it doesn't find it. It says that it is unreachable.

Could you please send me via e-mail the exact IOS level you are running ?

I have a couple of 2950G running 12.1(6)EA2a that stops replying to icmp echo.

There is probably a bug ?? Did you open a case ? if so please let me know.

On my side the case is C909058

clericoj@fr.ibm.com

szeshiong.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There are 2 ways to allow a Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch to own an IP address so that it can be pinged by hosts on the network. First, you may try to run the command 'setup' in Priviledged EXEC mode and follow the instructions of the setup program that follows. If I remember correctly, there is a portion in the setup that prompts you to enter an IP address for the switch. You do, however, need to answer 'YES' when prompted to configure the switch for management in order to see the prompt for an IP address I think.

Second, by default, all the FastEthernet ports on the Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switches fall under a Virtual LAN, VLAN1. An IP address may be assigned to this VLAN1. This would basically mean that you are giving an IP address that would define the whole switch, which is what you are trying to do anyway. What you have to do is to get into Priviledged EXEC mode first by using the 'enable' command. Following this, issue the 'config terminal' command to get into Configuration mode. Then, issue an 'interface VLAN1' command to get into the configuration context of VLAN1. From here, you can set the IP address for the switch by issuing the command "ip address x.x.x.x m.m.m.m" (Where x.x.x.x is the IP address you want, m.m.m.m, the subnet mask). Remember to save :)

Hope this helps.

SzeShiong

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: