Views
Helpful
Replies

CONFIG

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

hi

PS Look to this scenario:if have 2 dis switch;1 access switch.2 dis connected to each others(trunk).and the access swit it connected to each 2 distribution switch.look to this config:

dist1

int gig0/1

switchport trunk encap isl

switchport mode trunk

no sh

vtp domain test

vtp mode server

vlan 20 name vlan20

vlan 30 name vlan30

int vlan 20

ip address 10.1.1.10 255.255.255.0

standby 1 10.1.1.1

standby 2 timers 5 15

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 priority 110

dist2

int gig0/1

switchport mode trunk

no sh

vtp domain test

vtp mode server

vlan 20 name vlan20

vlan 30 name vlan30

int vlan 20

ip address 10.1.1.11 255.255.255.0

standby 1 10.1.1.1

standby 2 timers 5 15

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 priority 105

access switch

vtp domain test

vtp mode client

int gig 0/1

switchport mode trunk

ip default-gatway 10.1.1.1

do i creat same vlan20;30 on the 2 dist?do i configure the vtp mode server on the 2 dis?do i configure the vtp mode client on the access switch?PLZ CHECK ALL THESE CONFIG & ADVISE ME TO BEST CONFIG OR WHERE IS MY MISTAKE?

10XS FOR UR TIME

ALI

27 Replies 27

HI ANkur this is the attachment of the acces-swit

Hi Ali,

I got where the problem is looking at your config file for access switch.

Now let me try to explain you. If you see the ip which you are trying to ping 10.1.1.1 which is the virtual ip address for the distribution switch and it belongs to vlan 20 on your distribution switch.

When you are trying to ping from access switch you have not configured "interface vlan 20" with same subnet ip address so you will not be able to ping from access switch to distribution switch vlan 20 virtual ip address.

Your access switch has default "interface vlan 1" with no ip address configured. If you want to manage your access switch remotely you have to assign an ip address on your access switch also.

What I will suggest you is create "interface vlan 20" on your access switch and assign an ip address.

Something like this

switch(config)#interface vlan 20

switch(config-int)#ip address 10.x.x.x

switch(config-int)#no shut

Make sure you assign the ip address on access switch in same subnet which you have assigned on distribution switch and then try to ping you should get a ping response.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

hi ankur

10xs for ur reply!

i configure my pc with the DG of the virtual ip.now i ping -t from the pc to the GW.i diconected the 1st distr(ACTIVE);the time out is 3 time out UNTIL I GOT reply from the standby;ankur i need to reduce the time out to 1 TIME OUT.How can i achieve this

10xs Ankur for helped me always!

Hi Ali,

I have seen in your config for distribution siwtch some changes in HSRP default timers but that was for HSRP group 2 which I suggested you to change it for HSRP group 1 and I am not sure if yoy have done the changes. So can you paste the "sh run int vlan 20" and "sh standby" from your distribution switch which will let me know the timers which you may have changed?

Regards,

Ankur

hi ankur i've adjusted this issue like u told me in prior post

10xs

Hi Ali,

Thats fine now then the config means that the hello packet for HSRP will be send every 5 seconds and hold timer will be 15 seconds which means if 3 consecutive hello packets get loss from active to standby switch the standby switch will detect failure of active switch and will be come active.

Reduce the timer value to hello as 3 seconds and hold timer as 9 seconds and you may achive the desired results.

Under interface vlan 20 issue this command

"standby 1 timers 3 9" on both the distribution switches.

HTH,if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

HI Ankur 10xs for ur reply!

this the attach of sh standby;sh int vlan20

10xs

Hi Ali,

The config means that the hello packet for HSRP will be send every 5 seconds and hold timer will be 15 seconds which means if 3 consecutive hello packets get loss from active to standby switch the standby switch will detect failure of active switch and will be come active.

Reduce the timer value to hello as 3 seconds and hold timer as 9 seconds and you may achive the desired results.

Under interface vlan 20 and int vlan 10 issue this command

"standby 1 timers 3 9" on both the distribution switches.

HTH,if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

hi ankut 10xs for ur help

the time out reduced to 2 time out:

Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Reply from 10.1.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

i just need only 1 time out

10xs

Ali

Hi Ali,

You can further reduce the timer values as hello to 2 seconds and hold timer to 6 seconds or may be 4 seconds which will further reduce the convergence time but I will not recommend you to go for so low values as this may result in convergence of active to standby router even when active is up.

What I mean is suppose the active router is still up and running fine but due to congestion in network or any physical layer issue hello packets get dropped twice standby will not receive hello packet and will think if active had gone down and will try to come up as active even when you active router is still up and at same time it may generate error message as standby duplicate ip address message as both the router will become active for soemtime.

Also reducing the hello timer will result in more hello packets in less time creating unnecessary packets in network.

But still if you want to reduce convergence time you can issue a command

"standby 1 timers 2 4"

I will recommed you to read this link before changing any timer values less then the default which you are having now

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124tcr/tiap_r/apl_s2ht.htm#wp1174558

Ankur

HI ANKUR

HOW CAN I CONFIGURE THIS"configure THE 2 distribution switch 1 as a root bridge and distribution switch 2 as secondary root bridge.

10XS FOR UR HELP

ALI

Hi Ali,

I appreciate you rating for all the posts which I have done.

You need to give a command on your 1st distribution switch as

"spanning-tree vlan 10,20 root primary"

and on your 2nd distribution switch as

"spanning-tree vlan 10,20 root secondary"

You can enter any vlan number for which you want your dist switches to be primary and secondary root bridge.

Make sure you issue these commands after arranging some time window in your network as configring this command will let the whole network to converge and there will be a complete STP calculation again so it will definetely disrupt the network for sometime.

Ankur

Hi Ankur!

10xs for ur reply;10 for ur time to answered my post;

10xs for ur effort to help me;Ankur as i mentioned before;this is the only way to 10xs U;and all the experts.

with best regards

ALI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: