Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration for Cisco 4000

n.tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just need to know anyone has configure Cisco 4006 for L2 to interconnect with 3rd party switch ?

Any setting need to disabled activated normal spanning tree ?

4 Replies 4

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

What type of switch, and what type of connection (access, VLAN trunk)?

1) Manually set the speed and duplex on both switch ports.

2) Set trunking mode on Cisco to on or off. Desirable, etc use cisco only detection methods that other vendor switches don't know.

3) use 802.1Q (dot1q)

Normal spanning tree settings should be fine... unless you're using advanced settings like udld, etc. UDLD is cisco only.

This should give you a start. If you some more details on the connection, etc we may be able to give more info on what to look out for, etc.

Thanks for your reply.

The switch is a L3 switch(Passport 1200) with access

connection (a default VLAN)

The interconnection is GigaEthernet uplink

Does not sure whether trunking works well with Nortel switches

Appreciated your kind advice.

Hi,

This shouldn't be a problem at all. VLAN trunk/tag connection will be fine to as long as its 802.1q and you set cisco side to on (not auto, desirable, etc).

If you run into trouble, let me know. I work with passport/acclear stuff regularly so...

hello erick,

do you have any config sample about 4006 ? i don´t have experience with this switch. how to connect it to the core (cat6509) ? it will be nice if you giv me the step to follow, may be command also,

on the core both cat6509 are server mode the primary is root, and both are connect via trunk. the 4006 is to connect a new building

thanx for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: