Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Configuration Issues on 6506

HI,

we have cat 6506 switch with MSFC. sh boot on the switch console shows the following

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat6000-supk8.7-1-1.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable = slot0:switch.cfg

Configuration register is 0x102

ignore-config: disabled

auto-config: non-recurring, overwrite, sync disabled

console baud: 9600

boot: image specified by the boot system commands

sh flash slot0:

No files on device

I have 2 questions here

1) what if I reset the switch. What configuration will it load. Will it look for switch.cfg or something else

2) If it is looking for switch.cfg at next reset or power failure ,how to save the current config as switch.cfg so that I get the same config back in case of reset or power failure.

Thanks in Advance

3 REPLIES

Re: Configuration Issues on 6506

when u execute a command on a switch, its automatically saved into the config file. You dont have separate commands to save the current config as switch.cfg in a catalyst. So you dont need to worry about saving the configs, all command executed are saved automatically

What is the importance of Config_file Variable when switch saves the current config automatically

The switch doesnt store one configuration on RAM, and another configuration on NVRAM like a router..does....it stores all configs in one single file...thats the file that you see there in the output, and also the variable associated with that file (switch.cfg) is CONFIG_FILE.

If you need to boot with another configuration file, that you already created and saved, say, switch1.cfg, you can make the switch, boot with that configuration, by manipulating this variable....These boot variables can be set using the

set boot auto-config device:filename[;device:filename...]

where device can be slot0 and filename can be anything say....switch1.cfg ..

Hope that makes sense....

Views
Helpful
Replies