cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configure 2811 as terminal server

Bruce Summers
Level 1
Level 1

first time i'm doing this...i've read some of the other posts and stepped through what i thought would be the config guide from cisco, but i guess i'm just not understanding...

During the step through, one of the steps is to configure line con 0 transport input all, but the only option for me is transport "output".  my line con config is as follows:

line con 0
session-timeout 20
no exec
transport preferred telnet
transport output all
line aux 0
line 0/3/0
transport input telnet
transport output telnet

I configured ip host switch1 2001 172.16.1.1

when i look at async 0/3/0, i see it is down / down

frankly, i'm not sure what i'm doing...i thought i would remote into the router, then telnet to the async interface...but, i'm not even sure how to do that even...ughghgh...

help...

thanks

bruce

1 Reply 1

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The console port does not allow reverse connection, so "transport input" is not allowed.  That command will work on all other lines, including the AUX port.  The settings on the console will not affect the port async 0/3/0.

For a reverse telnet connection, you expect async 0/3/0 to be down/down; the async INTERFACE only comes active when you run a packet based protocol (e.g, PPP) on the async line.  For character based connection, you look at the LINE, not the INTERFACE.

Look at "show line" to see what the line index number is for async 0/3/0.  There is a line number reserved for each of the slot-port combos.  The line number associated with async 0/3/0 will be what you put in the alias.

If you want an IP address associated with a port so you can telnet to a port, the command you want is "ip alias."

The port number 2xxx connects to port xxx, which you can see in the "show line" command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: