Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Configure a static multicast

I have a special situation where I have a host that does not send an IGMP join message but needs to receive a specific multicast address all the time. The multicast group address that this host needs to be part of does not continuously send packets just every once and a while. What I need is for the host to just receive the specified multicast address all of the time without having to do anything (IGMP join message).

Directly connected to the host is a 3550-SMI switch. Below is what I have tried but was unsuccessful in making work properly. I believe these commands made the port a static member but the host would still not receive the data without a join message. I have a small script that I can send a join message with manually and once I do this I then receive the multicast for a short time until it times out.

enable igmp snooping

ip igmp snooping vlan 105 static 0100.5e00.0203 interface fa0/8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Configure a static multicast

You can use the following command:

ip igmp join-group

on the interface your client is connected. You will have to upgrade your switch to the EMI version, beacuse multicast routing is not supported on the 3550-SMI.

Cheers

Views
Helpful
Replies