cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 3500 switches

adamsom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've got 3 3500 switches in a GigaStack loop configuration.(3 cables)

Now I've bought 2 new 3548s.

Can I disconnect the redundant loop safely, add the GigaStack cables for the new switches and configure them using the web Cluster Management interface, without causing any problems to connected PCs?

TIA

4 Replies 4

adamsom
Level 1
Level 1

just to add

Switches are a 3524XL and others are 3548XL.

One of the GigaStack port LEDS on the first switch (the 3524) is amber. Is this normal?

Bump...

Anybody care to comment on this one???

Yes, when configuring GigaStack ports in a redundant loop it is normal to have one LED amber. This indicates which port has gone into spanning-tree blocking mode in order to prevent a bridging loop. Even if you enter the global config command "no spanning-tree" the GigaStack ports will still have spanning-tree enabled. Also note that when using both ports on a GigaStack GBIC they will operate at half-duplex.

Thanks, interesting.

So if I had 5 switches and no redundancy then 2 of them could operate at full duplex? Do I really need the redundancy - I can't see many problems with the GBIC stuff.

Does it matter which cable I disconnect in order to 'insert' the 2 new switches? The reason I ask is because the amber connection is not the cable which is showing as the redundant link in the Cluster Manager sofware - slightly confusing...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: