Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Configuring a NM16-ESW in a 2811 router

OK, here's the background:

We currently have a building, with 5 seperate networks. Each network has its own switch and cabling. What I have to do is set up something to allow certain networks communicate with each other.

My initial thought is to install a Layer-3 switch and configure a VLAN on it for each network, and then create an access control list that allows communication between specific networks (i.e. Network A can see Networks B and E, but not Networks C and D).

After looking around, I think my best bet would be to buy a 2811 router and add a NM16-ESW card, and configure the VLANs and routing through that.

Does anyone see a better way of doing this?

1 REPLY

Re: Configuring a NM16-ESW in a 2811 router

Hi Friend,

I think you can avoid buying NM16-ESW card. If your requirement is just to have intervlan routing with some ACL restriction you can configure router on stick model using 2811 router.

You can have all switches having seperate network connected with each other via trunk port and connect one switch directly to router ethernet interface and create subinterfaces with encapsulation command and then configuer ACL on router and apply it on subinterfaces.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies