Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Configuring a preferred route.

I'm looking for recommendations on setting a prefered pathed. I have WAN consisting of 4 remote sites each connected to the main office by a T1 and a wireless link. I'd like to configure the routers to forward any VoIP traffic across the T1's and only use the wireless links for VoIP should a T1 fail. Is policy routing the recommended method to define the preferred path or is there some other method that I should consider. EIGRP is the routing protocol in use?

thanx in advance,

-john

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Configuring a preferred route.

Policy routing would probably be best for this at the moment. There are some features coming up in the future that would make this work based on information propogated through the routing protocol--multi topology routing, or MTR.

Other than this, if you can classify packets based on the destination, rather than the type of service. For instance, if all your voice traffic is destined to some specific server, like a gateway, then you could distribute a host route for that server over the one path, and block it along the other path.

Russ.W

hi russel

can u pls tell me is ther any specific reasons to classify the packets based on the destination than the Tos ?.since we r currently doing PBRs considering the Tos.

prem

Gold

Only that it's easier to cuse host routes to the specific destinations across the right links, filtering them elsewhere (if you can filter them elsewhere), rather than setting up PBR. For instance, if you have two routers connected back to back over a pair of serial links, and you want all the traffic to one server to cross one serial, and the remainder of the traffic to cross the other serial, then you could just advertise a host route for that server across one serial link, and not across the other.

It all depends on what you're trying to do, and the tools you have at hand.

Russ.W

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content