cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring HSRP between a catalyst 6000 and a catalyst 6500?

sguerrero
Level 1
Level 1

I have a catalyst 6509 running catOS version:

WS-C6509 Software, Version NmpSW: 6.1(1c) and the MSFC is WS-F6K-MSFC2 SAL0533AL81 Hw : 1.2

Fw : 12.1(3a)E4

Sw : 12.1(3a)E4

I would like to have redundancy but don´t have another 6500 with the same characteristics, instead, I have a catalyst 6009 with OS version WS-C6009 Software, Version NmpSW: 5.3(2)CSX and has a MSFC.

Isn´t there any issue or a special suggestion in order to configure HSRP between these two switches?

Thanks for any comment.

3 Replies 3

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

Should be no problem. There is no requirement that all HSRP partners be identical devices.

Mark

iaglindro
Level 1
Level 1

hi!

we've implemented a setup like that but unfortunately if the two are not identical devices (SW and HW), HSRP might not happen. We've inserted an MSFC2 together with an MSFC and it did not work. Just to be sure, might as well have the versions (SW and HW) the same.

hope this helps, we made this mistake before.

cheers,

-ian

Thanks, I´ll try using same software, unfortunatly, I only have one 6009 and one 6509, and cannot buy another catalyst 6500. I´ll try and tell you if it worked out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco