Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring HSRP on a single cisco 2611,with 2 ethernet ports,and 3512 cats

SAM ANANDARAJAH
Level 1
Level 1

could any one hlep?

Cisco 2611 ,2ethernet ports----------2 cisco 3512----------2 cisco 3508--------and access switches

Connected.

Would it be possible to have HSRP running on the same router ,the customer wants total

Resilient, given that he only have one 2611.

I tried this setup on a lab ,and it seems not possible to have HSRP running on the same router !!

Could any one help with this problem please?

******** also,the customer want ISDN BACKUP ,what will be the impact on HSRP ?

Thank You.

Sam

5 Replies 5

SAM ANANDARAJAH
Level 1
Level 1

please note both ethernet address are with in the same subnet 192.168.200.252 &253

You cannot configure 2 interfaces on the same router to be on the same logical subnet.

The only way to offer any resilience would be use different IP subnet's on the same vlan but I'm not sure how this would fit in with your requirement.

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

You can't use HSRP, but I've seen some success with using backup interface.

Backup-interface will keep the interface down until the one its backing up goes down, then it comes up. You'll need to change the MAC address of the backup interface to the primary's MAC address since it won't grat ARP when it comes up. This could confuse switches for a bit... but its something.

Also, be sure that you've enabled portfast on the switches for these ports.

Mick.

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is way to do this but it is very ugly and not recommended. You can put the 2 ethernet ports in the same bridge, make the router the root bridge, and configure a routed BVI interface. In fact, you will not be using HSRP at all. If one of the interfaces on the router goes down, STP will provide redundancy. I wouldn't recommend doing it since packets sent to the BVI has to be switched twice causing lower performance on the 2600.

Thanks for your comments,I can at least inform the customer .

I am bit confused,Suppose if you have 2 /2620 and connect them to same subnet you can set up HSRP,how? given that both interfaces are sitting in the same subnet (same lan)

but here same subnet but same router !!!

any comments please !!

Regards

Sam