cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring name by sysName

srego4
Level 2
Level 2

CM currently discovers some of my devices by IP address and some by dns names. (I do not have all my switch names registered on my DNS) However rather than the IP address, I would like it to discover by "sysName". I have changed the setting s in my aniServer.prop file as mentioned in a Cisco white paper http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/cpmn/prodlit/wk2ke_wp.htm

However, I am still unable to get it to work right, ie get the sysName come up. I have a Unicenter NMS setup which does this and would like CW to do the same.

Anyone have any ideas on how this can be achieved? (Also working with TAC on this one but ....)

Thanks

4 Replies 4

vergeerf
Level 1
Level 1

This procedure should work! I use it in my customers networks all the time. Are you sure the ip-address of the management interface (mostly the loopback-interfaces) maps to the sysName in DNS?

I'm am not sure what you mean by that. I am assuming that the sysName comes form the cisco switches MIB object name and had nothing to do with DNS. Correct me if i am wrong. And by "ipaddress of management interface .. do you mean the Cisco switches ip address or the CWserver ip address?

Thanks

The procedure in the white-paper is only for devices with multiple interfaces (e.g routers). To force Campus to use a specific interface (most of the time you prefer the loopback interface) you need to modify the AniServerProperties file (depending on the naming convention within your router) Read the whitepaper carefully and you will understand.

For switches there's no issue, they have only one management interfaces and Campus wil use this interface.

Hope this helps!

hello,

Thanks for the input.

I am not concerned abt. the interface which CM picks up. What I want is for all my devices (switches & routers) to show up in CM Summary view with their sysNames. They only show up with their IP addressess. (Some come up with their DNS names , but those are the ones that I have tabled entries in the DNS server) However when I go to CM > Display View > Display Labels - sysName all my devices do show up with their sysName. But they will not show up in the Summary view this way (with sysName).

Hope this clarifies what I am trying to do.

Thanks again