cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring new subnets in an existing MS Domain

brian.bauer
Level 1
Level 1

The customer I'm working with is out of IP addresses on their private network. They were assigned 10.0.40.x from the corporate office.

I've added a 2621 router to an existing domain, one ethernet is on the 10.0.40.x network, the other on the new subnet of 10.0.43.x.

My problem is that when I plug a PC onto the 10.0.43.x network with a static IP, it won't see the existing domain and allow a login.

I've setup a helper-address to the WINS server which exists on the 10.0.40.x network, no help.

I've also setup the lmhosts files according the ms documentation, no help, either.

Any answers out there?

Brian

2 Replies 2

fullerms
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have connectivity with the WINS server ? Check up whether the default gateway is properly configured and you are able to ping the WINS server.

srittenberg
Level 1
Level 1

the problem may not be at the router, it may be at the client. if you have a DHCP server on the .43.x segment, set the ip helper-address to the dhcp server IP, then setup the client as a dhcp client, use ipconfig /renew to get an ip from the dhcp server, see if you could see the servers. You could also check if the client's gateway and dns IP is setup correctly. DNS IP is also very important for MS network.