Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring NTP on 2900XL

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have many 2900XL switches that need to be configured for NTP. We have an NTP server (NTP1) that recieves its time feed from an external clock, but I cannot seem to get the switches to pick up this.

Any help with the config would be great,

Thanks,

Daniel,

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The only line that is required is: ntp server

We are using this on a large scale, also with 2900 switches.

Please note that the switch uses the adress of int vlan1 as the source. There might be ACLs active in your network that block traffic from a switch IP adress to a server. First try a ping from the switch. If this succeeds, NTP should work as well.

Goodluck

I have VLAN 1 shutdown, but VLAN2 created instead - will it use VLAN2 instead?

Thanks for your help

Daniel,

Which vlan interface you use is not important. It will work on any vlan interface you specify. Only condition: there must be IP connectivity to the NTP server, that's it.

you can configure the source interface or vlan you want to use by using the

Router(config)#ntp source

Does anybody know any reasons why certain WAN routers would not pick up the NTP source?

I have a UNIX server that acts as the NTP server, then five routers connected to a WAN. The router that is on the same site as the NTP server shows as being synchronised and reference (NTP Server), whereas all the other routers show unsynchronised and no reference.

All are configured the same

Any ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco