Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Configuring NTP on Cisco2520

If I need to configure the Cisco2520 router to be the Time server in my domain and it need to be synchronized with NTP time source on the Internet. Is it possible to do so, if it is, how to implement? Any advice, tips, feedback, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

MethaT.

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Configuring NTP on Cisco2520

[global]

ntp server

ntp server -------> optional

ntp master

The following link should help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca558.html#3943

You can configure on the 2520 the ip address of the NTP server on the internet as follows

ntp server

ntp master

On other routers on your network, you can use,

ntp peer

to synchronize the time of these routers with the 2520.

One more question please. I need to make sure about what stratum of my domain controller because I planed to configure my domain controller as NTP client of 2520 and as SNTP server of all Windows-base clients. Any advice, tips, feedback, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thankful.

Bronze

The following info should help:

NTP uses a stratum to describe how many NTP hops away a machine is from an authoritative time source. A stratum 1 time server has a radio or atomic clock directly attached; a stratum 2 time server receives its time from a stratum 1 time server, and so on. A machine running NTP automatically chooses as its time source the machine with the lowest stratum number that it is configured to communicate with through NTP. This strategy effectively builds a self-organizing tree of NTP speakers.

Thank a lot and have a nice day.

Views
Helpful
Replies