cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring port bundling on routers

banajahm
Level 1
Level 1

is is possiblke to configure port bundling (bandwidth aggregation) on 2600 and 7200 series routers? if so, please provide me with the web pages that explain how thiscan be configured.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

here is a configuration feature called Multichassis Multilink PPP, which allows you to bundle PPP links on different devices into one logical PPP connection. Check out this link:

Multichassis Multilink PPP (MMP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_tech_note09186a008009408f.shtml

Regards,

Georg

sorry for not being thorough. i read several white papers regaring MMP and that is not the case with me. what i have is a router with multiple E1 modules and i want to aggregate them so that they become a single logical pipe (kina like configuring etherchannel on a catalyst switch). can i do that with a router?

thanks

Hello,

if the E1 modules are on the same router, I would put them in a ppp multilink bundle. To configure this, put the following commands on each interface you want to have in the multilink bundle:

ppp multilink

multilink-group 1

CEF should work fine for this, as well. MLPPP will use up more processing power, but will probably share the load more closely.

Regards,

Georg

actually, they are spread accross multiple chassis. your MMP idea is excellent but i am not using ppp over isdn but rather ppp over E1. can MMP still be done with out any complications?

Please advise

PS. i could not link to the page you had provided.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: