cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VLAN’s on a Catalyst 2924-XL Switch

bradjones
Level 1
Level 1

I recently picked-up a Catalyst C2924-XL switch running Enterprise Software for my lab.

I created three (3) VLAN’s – VLAN 16 (172.16.1.1/24), VLAN 17 (172.17.1.1/24) and VLAN 18 (172.18.1.1/24).

I have added fa0/1 thru fa0/8 to VLAN 16, fa0/9 thru fa0/16 to VLAN 17 and fa0/17 thru fa0/24 to VLAN 18.

Now when I try to enable the VLAN’s, I am only able to enable one VLAN – the others stay disabled.

Is there a step that I’ve missed?

Thank you for any assistance you provide.

-Brad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

This is what happens on the older cisco switches. When the vlan 16 interface is up all others will be down since this is what cisco refers to as the "management" interface. This has no bearing on vlan's being "shut down". This is just the ip you want to use to telnet in to manage the switch. As long as you have a router doing the inter-vlan routing then the vlan's can pass data. If not then the vlan's only talk within themselves. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

This is what happens on the older cisco switches. When the vlan 16 interface is up all others will be down since this is what cisco refers to as the "management" interface. This has no bearing on vlan's being "shut down". This is just the ip you want to use to telnet in to manage the switch. As long as you have a router doing the inter-vlan routing then the vlan's can pass data. If not then the vlan's only talk within themselves. Hope this helps!

yup, that makes sense.

Thanks for your response.

-BJ

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Remember this is a layer 2 switch only and cannot do any routing . The address is strictly for managing the switch and nothing else so you would only need 1 active SVI at a time . You are creating a layer 3 SVI when implement the command "interface vlan x" . This does not create the layer 2 vlan which is created in the vlan database mode. If you do a "show vlan" do all vlans show active ????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: