cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect 2 routers, load balancing

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to configure 2 routers, (one cisco 1721, one non-cisco) for load balancing. We have 2 internet connections, one is from a cable modem, the other is from a T1. As of right now, the two are not connected, and are two physically different networks.

What I have attempted to do is: Assign a FastEthernet port on the non-cisco router an IP in the subnet range the Cisco rtr is on. On the cisco router, I have created a NAT mapping to translate the non-cisco ip to the IP from the T1. I have connected the two with a CAT5. The config looks like:(example)

Cisco FastEthernet0 = 10.0.0.1, NAT Map of 10.0.0.100(local) to 146.x.x.x(global)

NonCisco FastEthernet = 10.0.0.100, default GW is 10.0.0.1

They will not even ping each other.

INFO: Non cisco router is a SnapGear SME570

Cisco NAT map used is: "ip nat inside source static 10.x.x.x. 146.x.x.x."

There are two computers also attached to the cisco (all via switch) that are in the same 10.x.x.x subnet. They can ping the cisco router, and browse the internet fine. Why not the other router?

1 Reply 1

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Are you using the correct cable? Is L2 up? Also check if the encapsulation used is correct. Use the sh int command on the Cisco router to check the encapsulation. Use the show ip int brie command to see if the status of the connection. It should be up and up. Also make sure that there are no filters configured that might be denying the traffic. If nothing works, you could try reloading the routers.