Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connect a cable modem w/ Cisco 2950

I have a basic question, having a cable modem is it possible to connect it w/ Cisco 2950 using dhcp on the 2950 and distribute to a server and 9 wrkst without a cisco router connected ?

My client has a Linksys broadband router with a firewall buitin after the modem and bought this 2950 that he wants to use.

Thx

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Connect a cable modem w/ Cisco 2950

You can use catalyst 2950 switch to act as a hub behind the Linksys Broadband router connected to a cable modem..like

PC's.....eth......2950(hub).....eth.....Linksys router.....eth...cable modem......isp

And AFAIK broadband router can act as a dhcp server for those PC's (the internal netowork) and do NAT.

Re: Connect a cable modem w/ Cisco 2950

Basically what you saying is the config on the 2950 would be just to enable VLAN 1 and all 24 ports without assigning any IP's, port 1 or 24 for the uplink and the rest of the ports for the LAN on the switch correct?

Preferable I was trying to eliminate the Linksys router since I have a set of 14 usable IP's from the ISP but that didn't work without the Linksys since the ISP router is not manageable.

I was wondering if you could sugest or have a config on the 2950 that I could use for the purpose so I can use a DMZ and a fixed IP for my tftp server as well.

Here is the IP's 65.209.60.17 to 31 mask 255.255.255.240.

Thx so much

Views
Helpful
Replies