Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Connect modem to s0 interface 1602

We need to implement a modem backup to our frame-relay if it goes down. However we are using 1602 routers with T1-Wics for our frame connection. The only ports available for modems are the console and the serial 0 port which is the 56K DSU/CSU port. Is there any way to configure the serial 0 port to work with an external modem?

1 REPLY

Re: Connect modem to s0 interface 1602

The built-in 56K CSU/DSU is non-removable and not configurable as async transport device for a modem.

It is possible to use the console port for this purpose, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you do not choose this option.

A number of low-priced replacement routers are available that offer an AUX port for this purpose (Cisco1720) or, if you have access to a Cisco 1601 (which are a dime/dozen on Ebay), you can use the following procedure...

Use the following command on your serial 0 interface:

physical-layer async

After you add this line, a new TTY line will be added. You can configure this just like it was an AUX port or a async port on a terminal server.

Use a RS-232 DTE cable to attach the modem. I believe the part is: CAB-232MT= (don't take my word on this, look it up).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content