cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 1602R routers

Slowmo
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a cable to allow me to connect 2 1602R routers via the ISDN ports?

9 Replies 9

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Its not possible to connect two ISDN ports back to back, without having an ISDN switch.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Actually I found a Cisco tech note that showed me how. Using a rollover cable it works fine. The connection doesn't seem to be the greatest, less than 100 ping response, but it will work for some testing I'm doing. I believe the trick here is that the 1602 may have "switched ports" I am totally unfamiliar with ISDN so I'm just guessing. Anyway it is working.

Can you post the link?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a3f09.shtml

I have not configured the lines as noted, so I expect performance will increase once I do.

The link is for a T1 or 56k crossover cable and not for ISDN. If you have a WIC with internal CSU/ DSU, then u can use the above cross over cable to link two routers back to back. This wont be valid for ISDN.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

My mistake I thought the port was labeled as ISDN, it is not, just 56k csu/dsu.

Ok,

You can make a cross over cable as mentioned in the link, to connect both the 56k ports. You can get a crimping tool from Radioshack to crimp the cable.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Actually the standard "rollover" cable you use to connect to the console port works great.

Yeah, you can do that only in case of 56k coz pins 1,2 7,8 are crossed, and the polarity doesnt matter.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: