Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

connecting 2940 to 6506/3560 switch

I have connected the 2940 (config uplink as trunk, no ip address, vtp transparent, vtp name of server) shut down vlan 1, entered vlan 3 info with no shut, entered default gate.

On the 6506 switch (config native vlan 3, trunk auto) CDP shows the 2940 switch, but I can’t ping it. From the 2940 switch, I can’t ping any thing. What is the config to connect 2940 switch to 6506 switch also 2940 switch to 3560 switch? Should I turn trunking on both ends, auto trunking, speed 100 ????

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Purple

Re: connecting 2940 to 6506/3560 switch

Set both ends as "desirable" and the trunk should come up , or set one end desirable and leave the other end as auto . Also did you create the layer 2 vlan on the 2940 and the 6509 . Do a "show vlan" (not show interface vlan) on both units and make sure your vlans shows and is active ... My guess is you did not create the layer 2 vlan because you said you created it by doing a no shut . You created the layer 3 SVI for manageing the switch...

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.