Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting 3 routers

provis
Level 1
Level 1

Its a little bit basic question,

How to enable router A to ping router C ??

A<-----WAN-point-to-point------>B<------WAN-point-to-point------>C

if i am at router B i could ping router A and router C

But i can't ping from router A to router C nor from router C to router A..

Whats the routing gonna be like???

2 Replies 2

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

Router A only knows the networks that are directly connected to itself. For instance router A only knows router B by the shared network AB. Router A knows nothing about network BC. In order for router A to know about router C or anything that it is not directly connected to, router A must have a route table. There are a couple ways to do this. For instance, you can set a gateway of last resort for router A to be the B-side of network AB, and vice versa on router C. It is important to understand that in order to route to/from any networks, both sides must know how to get back. You could use static routes such as

on Router A:

IP route {network C} {netmask} {Network AB}

the first instance is the destination, the second is the subnet mask of the network(s) and the last is the path for the route to follow.

To make this work, you would also need to input the following on router C:

ip route {network A} {netmask} {nework CB}

this would allow you to route from network A to network C. This is a very basic static config, of course routing protocols can be used to advertise this dynamically, but Choosing routing protocols really depends on the situation and the size of the network(s) involved. This should at least allow you to push packets between endpoints.

dlazarte
Level 1
Level 1

You can use static routes,default routes, or you can enable eigrp on all routers and let them advertise their directly connected networks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: