cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cat6509 to Cat 2950

londint
Level 1
Level 1

Connecting a Cat 2950 to a Cat 6509 using a cross over cable. This comes up as trunk but I don’t want it to.

When it was first connected, it led to some spanning tree errors as the port vlan at both ends were different. On the C2950, I had vlan 1 and on the C6509, I had Vlan 211. I change the port vlan to 1 on the C6509 and then this was ok but now it is trunking.

I dont want to trunk on these port. What I want it to create a connection as a normal access port in say vlan 211.

How do I do this?

And then after doing the above, will routers connected to the switch be able to talk to each other via vlan 211?

I am running CatOS on the 6509 and IOS on the 2950.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

configure the ports as access ports for the vlan which u want.create the vlan both on 6509 and 2950.

disable trunking on the ports.see that all u r routers are in vlan which u want ie 211.

Foe eg

on 6509

set vlan 211 2/2

and on 2950

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 211

Thanks

Mahmood

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Do the following

On 2950

conf t

int fa x/y

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

switchport nonegotiate

On Cat 6500

If trunk is there then,

set trunk x/y off

set vlan x (vlan#) y/z (port#)

for example

set trunk 2/23 off

set vlan 100 2/23

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00802ccfb4.html#wp1631612

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_1/cmd_ref/setsy_tr.htm#wp1170006

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks Amit

The C2950 is on a remote site. The remote site have said that they do not have any VTP configured as the C2950 is being used as just a hub, so thereby the will not be able to configure vlan 100 for example on the C2950.

This leaves me with why the link came up as a trunk when the links were connected even though on the C6509, it was never configured as a trunk. I feel as if their side forced the C6509 into trunking.

So if they cannot create any extra vlan on their C2950, how else can I configure this connection as an access port?

********Why the link came up as trunk ? *****

Answer is, 2950 and 6500's support DTP (dynamic trunking protocol ) which means that if either side sends a DTP packet the other side will be able to form a trunk. This is what has happened.

Do the following thing on 2950 switchport :

conf t

int x/y --> port connected to 6500

switchport nonegotiate ** Try this command only first, it should work,if not try other **

switchport mode access

-amit singh

Thanks Amit.

So after doing this, can we still leave the VLAN as default VLAN 1 at both ends and it wil not trunk?.

yes, You are good to go after that.

-amit singh

Thank you so very much Amit. I really appreciate your help. I have another question which I will open another message for.

Thanks again.

The 2950 has a default of dynamic desirable on its ports so unless trunking is specifically shutoff on the 6500 it will create a trunk . If the 6500 trunk port is "auto" (default) or desirable the trunk link will come up , just turn the trunk off on the 6500 and the link will not trunk . You can shut it off on the 2950 also by making it an access port also.

Thank you very much Glen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: